125th Anniversary Prior Posts

Before the Beginning . . .
there was St Thomas’ in Jamaica Plain and its pastor Father Thomas Magennis. As early as 1871, Father Magennis recognized the need for a new parish south of Jamaica Plain to care for the growing number of Catholics settling the once rural neighborhoods of West Roxbury and Roslindale. After some more or less successful attempts to establish a parish in West Roxbury, Father Magennis was approached by a group of laymen from Roslindale in 1885. They had raised enough money to buy a lot on Poplar Street and wanted to build a church. With his support they continued to raise money for a building.

But while the money accumulated so did the number of potential parishioners. By 1891, the building committee decided they needed a bigger lot and bought 40,000 square feet at the corner of Brown Avenue and Ashland Street. A January 1892 meeting raised a substantial sum for the larger church now planned. And in June 1892, Father Magennis presided over a meeting at which it was decided that the committee had raised enough money to begin building the new church in Roslindale.*

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage


Two Lots, One Tent, and Christmas . . .
The plan in June 1892 was to complete the basement of the new church at the corner of Brown Avenue and Ashland Street and enclose it so that Masses could be celebrated indoors when winter came. Autumn that year was exceptionally cold, however, and construction had to be halted early. You can imagine the disappointment of the people who had worked so hard and given so much for their new church.

Father Magennis made a suggestion that saved the day: a large tent--40 feet by 60 feet—was purchased and erected on the small lot on Poplar Street. And on Christmas Day, 1892, Father Magennis celebrated the first Mass held at the new parish of the Sacred Heart in the tent on Poplar Street. Like Abraham who dwelt in a tent before his descendants built the city of Jerusalem, like the Ark of the Covenant, which was sheltered in a tent before Solomon built the temple, Sacred Heart’s first home was a tent where services were held for a full year before the lower church on Brown Avenue was ready. According to legend, that entire year it did not rain on any Sunday when Mass was said at the tent church. And though the tent is long gone, the Poplar Street lot is still visible—a small park near the intersection of Poplar and Delano owned by the City of Boston since 1957.*

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage


We receive a name, boundaries . . . and a Priest

The new parish in Roslindale, still meeting in a tent, was officially established in 1893, one of 6 new parishes in the archdiocese that year of national economic recession. Named for the Sacred Heart of Jesus, it is one of 12 parishes with that name in the archdiocese. Most of them were established in the last 30 years of the 19th century—so we have a “trend name.” But our name also reflects the trust of the faithful in the pure and total love of Jesus who opened his heart to all.

The original parish boundaries were much larger than the ones we are familiar with today. The parish extended from Jamaica Plain to Dedham, encompassing all of West Roxbury and part of Mattapan, as well as Roslindale. If we use the Biblical verb “Begot,” it is possible say that Sacred Heart begat St. Theresa, Holy Name, and Str. John Chrysostum in West Roxbury, St. Andrew in Forest Hills, St. Angela in Mattapan, and St. Joseph in Hyde Park. All of those parishes were carved out of Sacred Heart’s original territory.

And along with a name and boundaries came the parish’s first priest, Rev. John F. Cummins, a well-educated, well-traveled, charismatic and creative man of 41 whose life became inextricably bound up with the story of Sacred Heart in Roslindale.*

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage and the archives of the Archdiocese of Boston.


Lawn Parties, Lectures, Fund-Raisers Galore . . .

With the arrival of Father Cummins (or Father John, as his parishioners soon called him), the sacramental life of Sacred Heart parish began in earnest. Shortly after celebrating his first Mass in the tent church in July 1893, Father Cummins baptized the first baby (Belinda) and officiated at several weddings. The first funeral came several months later, in November.

Father Cummins also took charge of funding and building the new church. On September 3, 1893, the cornerstone of the building was laid in a ceremony attended by a crowd of about 5,000 people. Archbishop Williams, twenty-five priests, and civic and religious leaders, including representatives of the Protestant community, were present. Under the cornerstone were placed a copy of The Sunday Globe and the names of the Pope (Leo XIII), the Archbishop (Williams), the priest (Father Cummins), the President (Grover Cleveland) and all 1,600 contributors to the church.

Building continued apace during the fall, and fund-raising moved to a whole new level. Only three weeks after the cornerstone was laid, the parish held a lawn party at the estate of Mr. Charles Belford; then in October, there was a Hallow Eve party, which was followed by a Christmas Fair that lasted for three weeks in November and December and drew 5,000 people. By Christmas, 1893, the lower church was ready and, one year after the first Mass in the tent church, Sacred Heart parish celebrated Christmas Day in its new building with its new pastor.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.


The Ultimate Fund-Raiser--the Ox Roast . . .

Actually, there were 10 ox roasts. Father Cummins began planning the first of these mammoth events shortly after his appointment as pastor in 1893, and on September 1, 1894, the first “Roast Ox Festival” took place. The Boston Pilot reported that the “ox,” actually “a Texas steer of huge proportions had been presented to Father Cummins by a friend,” (local alderman Lee) so there was no major expense to cover even for the centerpiece of the barbecue.

The event was held at the Apollo Gardens on Amory Street in Roxbury and, reportedly, attracted 10,000 people. There was a contest for ticket sales which included a prize of a first class round trip voyage to Ireland. Mr. D. J. Sullivan was the winner with 1,200 advance tickets sold. Proceeds from the first ox roast were dedicated to the rectory fund.

Over the next decade, the ox roasts gained fame throughout the archdiocese. Father Cummins estimated that a total of 100,000 people attended these events, which featured political speakers, musicians, a genuine barbecue chef brought from Virginia, a host of advertisements from local businesses in what must have been a very profitable program book, and tables hosted by local (e.g., the Hyde Park Avenue table) and parish (e.g., Sunday School table) organizations, selling everything from pincushions to home-cooked food.

And, most important, the barbecues raised not only the reputation of Sacred Heart Parish, they raised money to build it.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.


The Golf Tournament—Still Raising Funds . . .

The legendary “Roast Ox Festivals” raised enough money to build Sacred Heart church and rectory over the course of the parish’s first decade. Today, the ox roast has given way to “The Golf Tournament.” This year the Golf Tournament is the official event kicking off Sacred Heart’s 125th anniversary celebration.

The 21st Annual Golf Tournament takes place on Friday, September 14, 2018. The first tournament in 1997 saw 75 Golfers take to the links at George Wright Golf Course in Hyde Park. In 2017, we had more than 100 golfers and this year the goal is 125 (or more!) in honor of the parish’s 125th anniversary. Proceeds from the tournament have funded major work at both the church and Sacred Heart school, including restoring the stations of the cross, helping to repair the slate roof of the church, upgrading windows, and, providing “smart” boards for the school. This year’s golf tournament will help fund a major anniversary project for the parish.

If you are a golfer, the early bird registration deadline for individuals is August 14. If you are part of a foursome, the early bird registration deadline is August 14. If you don’t golf, the early bird deadline for your friends and colleagues to register is August 14.

And if neither you nor your friends are golfers, the committee can always use volunteers to help prepare for the event and to keep things running smoothly on the day of the event. If you can volunteer, please call the rectory (617-325-3322).


Father Cummins is a Popular Man . . .

Father Cummins had a wide and well-connected set of friends, and he called upon these friendships to help build Sacred Heart. We’ve already seen how the local alderman donated the Texas steer for the first Ox Roast. The panoply of orators who spoke at the festivals over the years (believe it or not, this was a popular feature of the event 100+ years ago) also reflected Father Cummins’ connections. How else did Sacred Heart come to host Congressmen, U.S. Senators, Tammany Hall’s greatest orator, Jacob A. Cantor, and even the Assistant Secretary of the Navy, William McAdoo?

As the building fund grew along with Sacred Heart’s reputation, so also did Father Cummins’ fame. He was in demand as a preacher and lecturer, even traveling as far as Portland, Oregon on a lecture tour in 1900. He also served as chaplain to the Ancient Order of Hibernians, the state mental hospital in Mattapan, the small pox hospital, the Catholic Ladies Society, and the Spanish American War Veterans. Clearly he was endowed with enormous stamina and well as great spiritual and personal charisma.

The parishioners of Sacred Heart returned his devotion. When the local newspaper The Boston Traveller started a “Send Your Pastor to Europe” contest in to drum up readership, any pastor, Protestant or Catholic, was eligible to win. When the results were announced in February 1897, Father John F Cummins of Roslindale won with 574, 552 votes. From his departure on May 8 until his return on July 19, Father Cummins detailed his experiences—kissing the Blarney Stone, attending a session of Parliament, being entertained by Monsignor O’Connell in Rome—for The Traveller.

And when he arrived home, he was welcomed with a “grand reception.”

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.


Father Cummins Moves In . . .

Before he was assigned as pastor of Sacred Heart, Father Cummins had served in a number of parishes in the archdiocese: St. Mary of the Annunciation in Cambridgeport, Sts. Peter and Paul in South Boston, St. Thomas Aquinas in Jamaica Plain, St. Peter’s in Plymouth, and finally, St. John’s in Hopkinton. His first acquaintance with Roslindale came under dramatic circumstances when he was at St. Thomas in Jamaica Plain. He was called to assist the injured and dying at the Bussey Bridge railroad disaster 1887. When the other priest who had been called fainted at the horrific sight, Father Cummins was left to minister alone. This first, wrenching call to Roslindale was something the pastor never forgot.

Once he became pastor at Sacred Heart, Father Cummins lived in temporary lodgings while the rectory was built on Ashland Street near the church that was also under construction. In 1894 he lived at 4191 Washington Street and in 1895 he rented a house (which still exists today at 49-51 Brown Avenue) across from the church. Finally in 1896, the rectory was completed (remember, the proceeds from the first Roast Ox Festival in 1894 were devoted to the rectory fund) and Father Cummins moved into his permanent home, along with his assistant Father Thomas Norris.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage



Dedication
and dedications . . .

When he became pastor of Sacred Heart, Father Cummins vowed that he would not have the new church building dedicated until it was paid for. Consequently the parish was always in full fund-raising mode for the first years of its existence. Their efforts were exciting, challenging, and successful, all characteristics that must have kept the men and women of Sacred Heart engaged and encouraged on the long road to financial success.

There were also smaller achievements as all of the pieces that would be part of the church of the Sacred Heart were assembled. And these were all celebrated with ceremonies, music, dignitaries and processions. The first, of course, was the laying of the cornerstone on September 3, 1893--almost exactly 125 years ago today! The anniversary of this event was solemnly celebrated each subsequent year. In February 1894 the parish saw the dedication of the Stations of the Cross in the lower church—great works of art in bas relief with an ivory finish. In 1895 the gatehouse of Calvary Cemetery was dedicated. In 1902, the upper church was completed, an occasion marked with a procession of 200 men, 200 women, 200 boys, and 200 girls representing parish organizations. Forty altar boys assisted Father Cummins and his curates, Fathers James and Norris in a High Mass which was followed by a open house so that as many parishioners as possible could visit the completed edifice. In 1906 new Stations of the Cross were dedicated at Calvary Cemetery.

And then finally, on June 5, 1910, the people of Sacred Heart and their priest Father Cummins saw the work of their hands and their faith—the church of the Sacred Heart—formally dedicated.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.


The Church Finished!


Father Cummins celebrated the inaugural High Mass in the newly completed upper church on Thanksgiving Day, November 27, 1902. The Irish-born architect Patrick W. Ford, who had designed or renovated over a dozen churches in the Boston area, is credited with the design of Sacred Heart church, one of his last project before his death in 1900. The building was constructed by a local contractor, James T. Sullivan. Its painting and decoration were carried out by the Boston firm of Messers. L. Haberstroh & Sons. The organ was by James Cole. The identity of the artist responsible for the windows is not quite certain (more about that later).

The opening of the church attracted public attention, as did many of the activities at the new parish. The Boston Globe commented on the attractiveness of the new church, which was “tastily decorated with bunting and potted plants.” The Boston Pilot went into greater detail, describing the Gothic style interior: “The general scheme is simply ivory white and gold, but the two mediums are handled so artistically and knowingly that the entire church presents a picture at once simple and rich. A subtle softening of the main color from the base to the top of the vaults, forms a practically indiscernible, but, nevertheless, appreciable gradation, which is felt rather than seen. The pure gold is applied with a master touch, bring out those details which are predominant to Gothic style . . .”

After the procession, the Mass (by Gounod), and the day-long open house, there was an evening concert—a fund-raiser, of course—since the new church completed was still a church in debt.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.


The Windows . . .

We know a lot about the people who designed and built the church for the parish of Sacred Heart, there is one feature of the building that is not clearly sourced: the stained glass windows. For many years (at least some of) the windows in the upper church have been attributed to Charles J. Connick, a well known turn of the century stained glass artist, but the paper trail supporting this assumption has some important gaps. The firm responsible for the windows was most likely Spence, Moakler and Bell; in an advertising flyer that company lists Sacred Heart’s windows as one of their projects. And Connick worked for this firm from 1900 to 1903, exactly the period when the windows would have been created. Connick’s published writings and his professional archives, however, do not mention Sacred Heart’s windows as one of his projects.

Given the lack of a definitive paper trail, is there other evidence that can tell us who created the Sacred Heart windows? Connick had been hired to design windows, paint glass, and draw “cartoons” (the detailed paper drawings used to create the finished glass panes). Given this job description, it seems probable that he designed our windows. Connick left Spence, Moakler and Bell in 1903 because he couldn’t adapt his artistry to the quick turn-around times that the manufacturing side of the business required. He also disliked the opalescent (Tiffany) glass which was extremely popular at the time and which was the glass the firm chose for the Sacred Heart windows. Connick never used this style of glass in any of his post-1903 projects, which may explain why he never listed Sacred Heart’s windows as his.

These suggestive details from Connick’s artistic biography cannot, of course, provide a final answer to the question of the windows’ provenance. What is beyond a doubt, however, is their beauty and the way they harmonize with the interior decoration of the church. The Gothic canopies that frame the figural windows above the altar echo the Gothic arches of the nave. And the gold colors of the non-figural aisle windows enhanced the ivory and gold color scheme so praised for its subtle elegance when the new church opened in 1903.

Take a moment today to look around at the windows that line the walls of the upper church. Look at the Christmas window and the Crucifixion that light the chancel. When you leave, look up at the rose window that illuminates the choir loft.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.


Integrated into the Fabric of Boston

The formal dedication of the church of the Sacred Heart took place on June 5, 1910. Archbishop William O’Connell (who had succeeded Archbishop Williams in 1907) presided as a procession of priests from the rectory around the outside of the building while the words of dedication were pronounced. Archbishop O’Connell reminded the parishioners that their church was the bride of Christ; its beauty, its ceremonies, its functions reflected this noble status. He also called upon the old Boston image of the “city on a hill;” the church built on a hill was sited to point the way to heaven and to be a visible sign on earth that here were to be found safety and rest from the dangers and cares of the world.

The following year, on June 25, 1911 another dedication took place at Sacred Heart. In pouring rain, an outdoor Mass was celebrated on the Feast of the Sacred Heart to dedicate the statue that currently stands facing Cummins Highway. The street was closed to traffic and an outdoor altar was erected for the ceremony. Erecting such a large statue of Christ on a public thoroughfare was a bold gesture on the art of Father Cummins and his parishioners; this was the first time such a thing had been done in Boston.

The statue itself stood twenty feet high and weighed 12,000 pounds. It was sculpted it from a single block of Tennessee marble and stood on a pedestal of Longmeadow brownstone. The artist, Hugh Cairns, was a well-known sculptor whose work can also be found locally in Trinity Church, the Museum of Fine Arts, and New England Conservatory, and a host of other churches in Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. Father Cummins, instead of engraving an inscription on the base of the statue, included the names of his parishioners on a parchment scroll encased in a copper cylinder at the base of the statue.

Sacred Heart had arrived and announced its presence with style.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.



Out of Debt . . . What Next?

In 1893 Father Cummins had vowed that the new church would not be dedicated until it was paid. The dedication finally took place in 1910, after 17 years of fund-raising! And on November 29, 1915, Father Cummins was able to announce the removal of all of the church property “from every shadow of debt.”

Clearly what the church needed to do was to undertake another large building project: a school.

What did building a school entail? Land, a building, teachers (which in 1915 meant sisters), so another building, a convent. Father Cummins and his parishioners set to work and by December 1915 the priest had a proposal for Cardinal O’Connell: two properties along Brown Avenue were available for a total of $15,500. Sacred Heart had $7,000 in cash on hand and could assume the existing mortgages of $8,500 on the real estate with the cardinal’s approval, which was quickly given. In 1916, the Sisters of Charity of Convent Station, NJ were engaged to send teachers to the new school, and the existing mansion on Brown Avenue at Allen Street was dedicated as their convent. Father Cummins negotiated a bank loan of $50,000 for construction of the school itself. Ground-breaking took place on May 30, 1916 and the three-story building at the corner of Brown and Ashland was finished by January 1917.

Father Cummins had been obliged to ask the Cardinal for an additional $10,000 to finish the school. His request cited increased cost of materials; the Cardinal’s assent attributed the additional expense to furnishings. The Cardinal’s reply made it clear that he was not happy with the cost overruns. Father Cummins arranged for a mortgage to cover the original $50,000 loan, rather than ask for an extension. He did have to request an extension for half of the additional $10,000.

He got his extension, but he didn’t get the Cardinal to preside at the school’s dedication. On April 2, 1917 the St. Francis Xavier Grammar School was dedicated with a crowd of about 6,000 in attendance. Named for Mother Xavier of the Sisters of Charity, the fully equipped and superbly sited school represented the fulfillment of the dreams of Father Cummins and the people of Sacred Heart to build the spiritual future of the parish through their children’s education.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.


The Cardinal and the Pastor . . .

                                            
As the experience of funding the construction of St. Francis Xavier School demonstrated, Father Cummins and Cardinal O’Connell did not always have a smooth working relationship. Their skirmishes continued through the First World War years and the 1920s. While most were of short duration, some—especially those dealing with finance—lasted longer.

As early as 1915, there was a disagreement about the assignment of a new curate at Sacred Heart. Father Cummins cited his age and uncertain health and eventually got the priest he wanted, Father Reardon, who stayed for 12 years. A 1922 request for curate Father Twomey’s brother to serve at Sacred Heart was simply denied.

During these years, Father Cummins made a number of requests for vacations due to ill health. Most were eventually and reluctantly approved, often with stipulations that the length of the leave be shortened or that the destination be within the United States, not in Europe. When, in 1918, the pastor asked for permission to celebrate Mass in the rectory due to ill health and excessive cold in the church, the Cardinal denied the request. Father Cummins felt the need to send it “upstairs,” writing directly to Rome.

In 1918, the boundaries of the parish began to shrink, as St. Andrews Parish was created from part of Sacred Heart and part of St. Thomas in Jamaica Plain. When Father Cummins suggested the dividing line between his parish and the new one in Forest Hills, his suggestion was challenged.

In 1915 Father Cummins was accused of allowing his curate to solicit funds for his 40th anniversary celebration outside the boundaries of his parish without diocesan permission; he responded with a tart request for citation of the rule forbidding this action. Some years later, in 1920, the Cardinal turned down Cummins’ request not to participate in a Hyde Park parish fund-raising bazaar.

Father Cummins has his own fund-raisers to manage. The “Tombola” had replaced the barbecue, but the programs for these events were just as ambitious as the earlier fund-raisers. In 1919, the Tombola celebrated the Allied victory in World War I, and the featured speaker was The Honorable Edward De Valera, fresh from his escape from an English prison. In 1920 the pastor wanted to finally retire the debt incurred to build the school with a grand fund-raising drive.

He also foresaw more construction at Sacred Heart, which would necessarily involve more loans and more financial skirmishes.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.



The End of the Road . . .

Father Cummins’ last years in the parish followed the patterns established over the preceding decades. There were funds to raise, building projects--a garage and the expansion of the rectory--to oversee, personnel matters to sort out, and, inevitably, skirmishes with Cardinal O’Connell over leaves of absence and finances. Sacred Heart’s parish boundaries shrank again, as Holy Name parish was created in 1927. An unauthorized Syrian church at the corner of Cedrus and Washington Street was a source of concern.

Through all these matters, Father Cummins remained the charismatic and optimistic person he had been when he came to Sacred Heart to build the new parish in 1893. He was a beloved figure in Boston, where on March 1, 1929 the city renamed Ashland Street; a crowd of 5,000 ranging from the children of St Francis Xavier school to the city’s political leaders processed from Roslindale Square to the church along the newly designated Cummins Highway. When he turned 80 in 1932, he received tributes from Mayor James Michael Curley, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and William Randolph Hearst. Father Cummins acknowledged the occasion with a statement that encapsulated his optimism: “The world is a better place to live in than it was when I was a boy. And it will even be better in the future.”

The next year, on March 20, 1933, Father Cummins died of a heart attack in the rectory. His health had been poor for a number of years and he had asked several times for permission to be buried in the church grounds, requests that the Cardinal denied emphatically. So Father Cummins was buried in Mount Calvary Cemetery just down the hill on Cummins Highway where the church he built raises its spire toward the heavens.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.



Transitions: New Priest, New Sisters, New Property . . .

With Father Cummins’ death, the parish of the Sacred Heart entered a new era of its existence. It had been associated with its founding priest for so long (40 years!) that it was hard to imagine the church without its beloved pastor. Nevertheless there were some who could imagine Sacred Heart with a new priest. In fact there was even a bit of rivalry among those seeking appointment to what was considered a “plum” parish. Bishop Spellman (later to be named Cardinal) actively sought the appointment, but Cardinal O’Connell bypassed him for Father Timothy Fahey, who was named pastor on April 12, 1933.

Father Fahey was already 67 years old when he came to Sacred Heart. He was apparently a stern man who scolded parishioners who arrived late at Mass. He was also obliged to deal with two unpleasant situations shortly after his arrival. He dismissed the New Jersey Sisters of Charity from their teaching duties at St Francis Xavier and arranged for the Boston-based order, the Sisters of St. Joseph, to take their place. The ostensible reason was money, but there was also a sense that the Cardinal wanted more control over the diocesan schools. Father Fahey also had to request that one of his assistants be transferred out of the parish, because he was not taking his responsibilities seriously.

The Cardinal continued to play an active role in the life of the parish. Early on he delineated the parish boundaries for Father Fahey. His permission was sought when the school wished to publish a student paper. And, of course, he granted permission --or not—for expenditures for everything from a “Victor talking picture machine” to repairing leaking roofs to the purchase of the Queen Anne house adjacent to the church on Brown Avenue.

Father Fahey’s tenure at Sacred Heart was short. He fell ill in the fall of 1936 and died on December 28 of that year. Again the church faced a major transition.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.



St. Theresa House . . .
The Queen Anne-style house that Father Fahey purchased in 1936 had been built between 1874 and 1884 as part of the suburban expansion of Boston in the last years of the 19th century. After some bargaining over the price, Father Fahey finally paid $9,500 for the house and property and half of the real estate taxes for the year-$114. In 1957 the parish rented the house to Mr. Frederick Muir and his wife Mabel. The Muirs, with their three children, lived in the house at 50 Brown Avenue until 1956.

In 1956 Monsignor Edward Murray, the then pastor of Sacred Heart, invited Mother Ester Ciotola and a small community of sisters of the Little Missionaries of the Eucharist to live in the house on Brown Avenue, which he named St. Theresa House. Mother Esther, as she was widely known, had been born and educated in Naples, Italy. After the Second World War, she first came to the United States to raise funds for an orphanage. She came to stay in Boston in 1953; living the Franciscan rule, she and her five sisters faced initial hardships, which were greatly alleviated when they were offered a permanent home at Sacred Heart.

The Little Missionaries of the Eucharist played an active role in the community and the parish. Their apostolate of spiritual care encompassed home visits, , hospitals, nursing homes, law offices, court rooms, and welfare offices. In the parish, the sisters participated in the religious education programs and organized days of prayer and retreats for small groups. Following Mother Esther’s death in 1967, the sisters returned to their motherhouse in Naples.

Sister Mary Melaragni was the last permanent resident at St. Theresa House. A health professional, she continued the work of spiritual care that parishioners had long associated with the house on Brown Avenue. Now St. Theresa House hosts meetings of parish groups—Boy Scouts, Spanish youth—Sunday morning coffee, and AA. As Sister Mary said, “God is all around us!” and His work is still done at St. Theresa House.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.



Father McGarry . . .

Sacred Heart’s third pastor was Father John McGarry. Fifty-eight when he was named pastor in January 1937, he was a scholarly and highly educated man. After graduating from Boston Latin School, he studied at Laurente Colege in Montreal, Canada and St. John’s Seminary in Brighton before being selected to continue his studies in theology at the North American College in Rome. He received his doctorate in canon law and was ordained at St. John Lateran in 1904.

Father McGarry’s first assignments in Boston involved him in with youth movements, most notably when he sponsored activities for medical students at Tufts through the Louis Pasteur Club, and the needs of the wider community, when one of his assignments included the chaplaincy of the Concord Reformatory. These two areas continued to be of special interest to Father McGarry throughout his career. But his arrival at Sacred Heart brought him face to face with something completely different: repairs and maintenance.

Leaking roofs, windows in need of repair, boilers, coal storage, stokers, hot water heaters required attention and money. The purchase of tubular chimes for the belfry must have provided a bit of relief from the nitty gritty cares of parish upkeep. All of Father McGarry’s work received a serious setback when the hurricane of September 1938 dealt considerable damage to the church, school, and convent. In arranging for repairs, the pastor did not forget his sense of social justice or the needs of the working man during the Great Depression. When bids came in to repair and modernize the boiler, Father McGarry was able to persuade the Chancery to award the job not to the lowest bidder who was non-union, but to the second lowest, who was a union man.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.


The Italian Society of Sacred Heart . . .

In 1938, a year after Father McGarry became pastor at Sacred Heart, two new curates (associates) came to the parish: Father Joseph Burke and Father George Carrozza. The arrival of Father Carrozza was particularly significant, as the number of Italian families moving to Roslindale had been growing for some time. A leader of the Italian community, Mr. Rocco Zoppo, had asked Father McGarry in 1938 to request the appointment of an Italian-speaking priest. Father Carrozza was the response to that request.

In providing a priest to serve the Italian-speaking members of Sacred Heart (rather than creating a separate parish for them as had been done for Polish-speaking Catholics, of example, with the establishment of Our Lady of Czestochowa in South Boston), the Archdiocese was taking a new approach to serving the immigrant populations of Boston. Father Carrozza would provide the services of the church to the Italian community without separating them from the parish as a whole.

The Italians of Roslindale quickly became a lively part of Sacred Heart. In January 1939 Mr. Zoppo and other parishioners founded the Italian Society of Sacred Heart, an organization unique in the Boston Archdiocese. In February 1939 the group celebrated “Carnevale Night” in the school hall; that was the beginning of a tradition that lasted for more than half a century. In addition to its religious and social functions, the Society was noted for its charity. It provided generous support to the Italian Home for Children, the St. Vincent de Paul Society, sick and bereaved members, and every priest in the parish from Father McGarry to Father Kelley.

After Father Carrozza left, a series of Italian priests followed until in 1975 Father Donal Finn, a native Gaelic speaker became the spiritual director of the Italian Society. He personified the welcoming diversity that, over time, had opened the Italian Society to members of all ethnic origins, much as Sacred Heart had embodied the welcoming diversity that incorporated the newly arrived Italians into the parish.

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.


 
Sacred Heart at War. . .

Sacred Heart had hardly recovered from the damage of the hurricane of 1938, when world events began to have an immediate effect on life in Boston. As Europe was engulfed in World War II, life at Sacred Heart went on with a difference. As early as April 1941 (before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor), one of the curates, Father Keenan, asked the Cardinal’s permission to become a chaplain in the Naval Reserve. While the Navy replied that it did not need additional chaplains at that time, Father Keenan persisted and finally received orders to report in November 1942. Nine months earlier, in February 1942, Father Joseph Burke was granted a leave of absence from the diocese so that he could serve as chaplain in the 26th Division, 101st Infantry of the U.S. Army.

Parishioners too served, both in the military and on the home front, working in defense industries. A 5:30 AM Mass was established so that defense workers could meet their Sunday obligation and get to their shifts on time. Men in uniform were seen at Mass, and many funerals (some without the bodies of the deceased) were held. Italian prisoners of war, held at Columbia Point, also attended Mass, brought there each week by members of the Italian Society. The fiftieth anniversary of Sacred Heart’s establishment in 1943 was remembered without a major celebration, which was deemed inappropriate during wartime.

Father McGarry and his associates became active in the broader community’s war effort. Father John Hart intervened in the case of a young sailor who had gone AWOL, pleading for a reduced term of imprisonment. Father McGarry led a campaign against the establishment of a veteran’s cemetery in Boston. He was also invited to serve on the Roslindale Committee for the Third World Loan and delivered the invocation for the Board of Trade when the flagpole in Roslindale Square was raised.

Can we doubt that just as Sacred Heart participated in all aspects of the war, the parish also fully joined in the celebration of its end in 1945?

*Based on The Centennial History of Sacred Heart Parish by Neil J. Savage.


 

Catholics Come Home Catholic TV